DO NOT CONSUME WATER ADVISORY
THIS IS TO ADVISE OF A DO NOT CONSUME WATER ADVISORY,
STARTING TUESDAY OCTOBER 10, 2017 AT 12:00 NOON
THIS CONTAINS IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR YOU DURING THE ADVISORY.
Sunnyside water continues to comply with Health Canada Guidelines for drinking water.
In our continuing efforts to optimize the performance of our AVIVE™ Water Treatment System, we will be flushing the System with greater-than-normal doses of hydrogen peroxide (the main disinfectant that is being used in the water that reaches your home).
This is called a Shock Dose. Its purpose is to clean our pipes of accumulated debris that is the product of 30-plus years of drawing unfiltered water from Badger Brook and Centre Cove River.
The heavier-than-normal doses of hydrogen peroxide (Shock Dose) is not a health concern. The procedure we will be following has been approved by the Provincial Departments of Environment and Health. The procedure will not impair the Town’s emergency fire services.
However, the Shock Dose will remove some accumulated materials in pipes that are unpleasant and unsightly.
It is for this reason the Town will go on a Do Not Consume Water Advisory. What this means is the following:
You are being instructed to not ingest tap water for any purpose. This means you are to avoid using the water for drinking; preparing food, beverages, or ice cubes; washing fruits and vegetables. Dishwashing, personal hygiene, including showering/bathing and toilet flushing, are permitted, although you will want to check that the water runs clear out of the tap first. “To run clear” means that, after flushing, there is no observable debris coming out of the tap. Boiling water during the shock dose period – no matter how long you boil it – is not sufficient to permit ingestion.
During the first 36 hours of the Shock Dose period, you can help the cleaning process by removing the screens from your taps and periodically opening all taps for several minutes, and flushing your toilets often.
Once the Advisory is lifted, run each tap for 5 minutes or until it runs clear before using water from that tap, and then replace the screen. If the water coming from the tap is still discolored, run the tap for an additional 5 minutes until it runs clear. If discoloring continues, please advise the Town Office immediately.
In allowing time for the Shock Dose procedure, and time for the disinfectant residuals to return to normal levels, and for the required Service NL testing, we expect the Do Not Consume Advisory to be lifted within three days after the start.
This is an estimate and could be sooner or later than the estimated 3 days. You will be advised when you can use the water again.
IN THE MEANTIME, YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO STOCK UP ON POTABLE WATER.